Monday, February 11, 2013

Blog Redesign & More FOs!

My sister, with some help from my boyfriend, was kind enough to redesign my blog. I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's very helpful to have a sister who understands my taste in most things. I hardly had to give her any input at all.

And now that my blog is pretty and updated, I felt compelled to finally take more photos of my finished projects. The first is a mug jacket which utilizes smocking stitch. It's a fun and beautiful stitch to work with and the designer has a great tutorial for it.

mug jacket
pattern: Mug and French Press Jacket
yarn: Elann Peruvian Highland Wool
needles: US 6

I thought it would be fun to have a knit bowtie. After many attempts, I finally managed to tie it on properly, and realized it made me look like a caterer. And then I thought I should have knitted the bowtie in pink and look like a member of Party Down. If you haven't seen this show, it's definitely worth watching.

bowtie
pattern: Bowtie
yarn: not sure
needles: US 2

The next two projects were ones I improvised to use up yarn in my stash. The first is a garter stitch hat which uses increases and decreases to shape the hat so it covers the ears.

davneet's hat
pattern: my own
yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick
needles: US 10

For the second project, I made a cowl using Indian cross stitch, which I found in A Treasury of Knitted Patterns. The tricky part was figuring out how to knit it in the round while keeping the pattern continuous and not having an obvious end of round seam.

open stitch cowl

The pattern seemed like it would be very airy and not suitable for winter weather. But since I knit it with a bulky yarn, the cowl collapses on itself and becomes quite cozy. It also makes the stitch look like a basket weave pattern.

open stitch cowl
pattern: my own
yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick
needles: US 15

2 comments:

  1. K and I both agree that the bowtie suits you. It should become a regular accessory. Wear it with a patterned shirt and you'll look less like a caterer. Or, knit yourself a sweater vest if you're going to wear the white shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog...I followed your link on Knitty. Just finishing up Petrie now. Great pattern and design! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the future. I'll keep up with your blog.

    ReplyDelete